Kicking off Codegarden 2024

A huge welcome to Codegarden 2024 from Emma and the Developer Relations gang!

Smaller

Kicking off Codegarden 2024 

Hello everyone! I’m Emma Burstow, and I couldn't be more thrilled to share my excitement and insights from the Codegarden 2024 keynote with you. This year marks my eighth Codegarden, and each one feels like a homecoming. Being here with all of you truly makes it my happy place, and I’m eager to dive into the days ahead.

The Magic of Codegarden

As is the case every year, from the moment June rolled around, I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude and excitement. Codegarden isn't just another tech event; it's a celebration of a vibrant, global community. Each year, I leave feeling inspired, connected, and ready to tackle new challenges. My sincere hope is that all of you will experience the same joy and inspiration that I do.

Celebrating the Umbraco Community

The heart of Umbraco is our incredible community. Whether you're a seasoned veteran or a newcomer, you’re part of something special. Our community spans the globe, with members contributing from every corner of the world. It’s amazing to see how the lines blur between contributors, partners, visitors, and practitioners. For today, we are all united as community members, and I hope we continue to grow and learn together.

Meetups and Festivals: The Lifeblood of Our Community

Meetups are where small ideas take root and grow into big initiatives. This year alone, we’ve had 67 meetups with over 1,200 attendees. We welcomed new meetups in Nepal and East Anglia, and saw the restart of meetups in Denmark, Sweden, and the US. These gatherings are where knowledge is shared, connections are made, and our community thrives. If you’re a meetup organizer, stand up and take a bow—you are the heroes behind these events.

Our festivals are another cornerstone of the community, completely organized by volunteers and supported by HQ. This year, we’re fortunate to have festivals in seven countries, including two in the UK. These events are a chance for us to come together, share ideas, and contribute to the community.

We have so many things happening in our umbazing community that you might find yourselves wondering how to stay in the loop. Great news, you can find out what’s going on by signing up to UMB.FYI or keeping an eye on Umbracalendar. Two brilliant projects built to keep us together across different time zones and platforms. 

Staying Connected Online

Our community isn’t just about in-person events. We’re incredibly active online, especially on Discord. This platform is a fantastic place to ask questions, share ideas, and connect with other Umbracians. Whether you’re into coding, gaming, or just hanging out, there’s a place for you. This year, we even have a dedicated Codegarden Conference Channel, #codegarden-conference, so you can stay connected with other attendees, whether you’re here in person or joining us virtually.

Celebrating Our Contributors

We recently launched Umbraco 14, and it’s been an incredible journey. The contributions from our community have been staggering, and we wouldn’t be where we are today without them. A special shout-out goes to Markus Johansson for his exceptional work and collaboration with HQ. Thank you, Marcus, and thank you to everyone who has contributed!

The Champions Program

Our Champions program, launched last year, supports community members who go above and beyond. We’ve supported 16 projects so far, providing resources, training, and funding. If you have an idea, we want to hear from you. Bring your projects to the Umbraco Champions section and let us help you bring them to life.

Getting Involved

There are so many ways to get involved in the Umbraco community. From meetups and festivals to online forums and community teams, there’s something for everyone. Our community teams are looking for new members, so don’t hesitate to apply. You don’t need to be an expert; you just need to care.

And for those of us who are new-new, who perhaps look at all of these possibilities and wonder where to even begin, there’s a community newsletter you can sign up for to learn more about the ways to be involved, delivered straight to your inbox.

Looking Ahead

As we embark on the next few days, remember to be open, friendly, and collaborative. Codegarden is an opportunity to learn from each other, share your knowledge, and grow as part of this amazing community. I’m excited to see what we’ll achieve together and can’t wait to hear your stories and experiences.

Thank you all for being here. Enjoy Codegarden 2024!

TL;DR

Visit https://linktr.ee/codegarden for more info about how to get involved with the Umbraco Community in 2024